02 September, 2005

I Won't Forget and I Won't Forgive

Last year in January I had possibly one of the worst days of my life. I found out that my laptop would cost $800 to fix or else all my thesis research would be gone (I fixed it, obviously); I was very stressed out about doing research without my computer anyway; and I was fairly convinced I wouldn't graduate from college. To make matters worse, I was wearing a navy blue hoodie and an orange t-shirt. As I walked from my hotel (across from the Conservative Yeshiva) to Hebrew U's Jewish National Library, I passed the Knesset, and a huge protest outside of it. There, wearing all blue and all navy, were a lot of anti-disengagement protesters. Long before they came up with the grossly inaccurate "Yehudi Lo M'garesh Yehudi" (I would love one of those as my landlord- I could stop paying rent without fear of ever getting evicted), they stuck to their basic racist creedo, "Eretz Yisrael L'Am Yisrael"--The Land of Israel is for the People of Israel. I disagreed with them, but I had to go do research, so I left it alone.
On the walk back to the hotel, armed with 80 pages of useless articles, I passed the Knesset again. I immediately zipped up my hoodie all the way- not daring to show even a hint of orange. However, the protest was over, and all that was left was a ton of litter all over the Knesset grounds, including many posters reading Eretz Yisrael L'Am Yisrael. Now maybe it's just me, but my feeling is that if you believe that the land exclusively belongs to you, you need to clean up after yourself a little bit.
Fast forward to right now. Yehudi Lo M'garesh Yehudi (a Jew doesn't expel a Jew) is still prevalent, if blatantly false now. But they have a new one, "Lo Nishkach v'lo Nisloach"-- I won't forget and I won't forgive. And we wonder why the Right of Return is such a big issue for Palestinian refugees of 1948. Given how many of the Anti-Disengagement folks are religious, and how many more will probably at least end up fasting for Yom Kippur, you'd think they would realize the importance of forgiveness this time of year. I've learned to forgive them enough to restrain myself from throwing garbage at every Gush Katif supporter I see. But if they insist on neither forgiving nor forgetting for long enough, I might have to change my mind.

No comments: