26 October, 2005

Sof Chag Sameach

I've been on vacation for a week and a half, and amazingly, I haven't found any time to post to this site. I only wish I could say it's because I've been keeping busy, but that sadly isn't true. There have been quite a few highlights since my last post, though.
1. I found the PR Troopers CD. As noted in Ari's comment to previous post, it is sitting in my cousin's DVD player in Herzliya. I haven't listened to it yet.
2. I went to a Gidi Gov concert. He played Inyan Shel Zman. I sang along. No one heard me.
3. I went to a Genders concert. The lead singer wants to read my thesis. I still haven't sent it to him.
4. I finally emailed Yoav Kutner (director of Channel 24) my thesis. If he responds, I'll ask him for a job.
5. I got searched by the police. My crime? Standing next to someone who called them fucking pigs without realizing that their car windows were down.
6. I cooked. And did a pretty good job.
7. I found an amazing mixtape by DJ Juvi. It's got two songs by the Hasid. Not related to me.
In the spirit of Sukkot being a 7 day holiday (that's right Diaspora, we have calendars now, we don't need to keep adding extra days), I'll keep it to those 7 highlights. But aside from those, this vacation has been a great time for me to think about my life, both how I am spending it now and what I might want in my future. I'm finding it really tough for me to be observant in Israel, mostly because Judaism is so tied to community for me, and the observant Jewish community just doesn't do it for me here. That said, there are also times where no other community does it for me here either. It's amazing how often I feel out of place here, but for whatever reason, I still like living in Israel. I don't know if I'll want to live in Jerusalem forever, or even next year. I don't know if I'll want to be a Jewish educator. I can't tell if it bothers me or not how much my observance is tied to who I want to spend time with, but I guess only time will tell. Beintayim, as long as I don't choose based on who has the most attractive women, I don't think it's too problematic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog Hackit, It's interesting. Are you permanetly living in israel?

Anonymous said...

Hackit, I know of some cute seminary girls in Talpiot that are looking to get hitched. Let me know.

What did you do for Simcat Torah? My sister went up to Tsfat, I'm quite jealous.

Anonymous said...

arie!
i miss you. i want to come visit. make me come and visit.

-kader