As anyone who knows me well knows, I have always been very proud of my last name. Hasit. Signifier of my Turkish heritage. No offense to my mom, but I've always been prouder to be half-Sephardi than to be half-Ashkenazi. True, my mom is much more responsible for my Jewish education (and I mean not only Hebrew school and Ramah, which she has always been involved with, but also many of the rituals we do at home, taking me to shul, etc.), but I like being unique, and being Sephardi in most Jewish worlds I've ever been a part of makes me unique. And Hasit surely caused it's share of problems. It sounds like hassit or has-it (like the words) and people would constantly mispronounce it. In fact, mispronunciations of my name may have had an even bigger impact on my identity, leading to the name Hackit. I think it's fair to say that my life is quite different because of that nickname. So I guess the mispronunciation was a good thing.
But as proud as I've been of the name Hasit (which has led to campaign slogans, Sephardi-mockeries and more), I've never really understood why it's spelled with a t instead of a d. The name is without question Hasid, as in a righteous person. My mailbox in the states is spelled that way. But in the US, our name is Hasit. And that's great for the US, but when coming to Israel, I figured it only made sense to go by the actual Hebrew name.
And that's exactly what I did when I moved here. My bank account is with a dalet. As are all of my bills, and my university registration. As I became an official resident two months ago, I figured that would be it. I would officially be Hasid, with a dalet. But of course, Israel is ridiculous in everything that it does. And the State of Israel, with Hebrew as its national language, insisted that I transliterate from my American passport. And spelled my name with a tet.
Mind you, my grandmother lived her for 20 years. And her name in this country is spelled with both a tet and a dalet. I don't know how she got away with it. But I do know that I want to spell my name how I want. And I'll be damned if I let the Israeli government get in the way.
Love always,
Hackid
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are my favorite Turk.
Post a Comment