08 May, 2007

Out of Focus

Lately, I've had much more trouble focusing than in general. Sure, I could make this whole blog post about...let's go ride bicycles. But really, it's more than that. I think I'm actually becoming self-destructive. For instance, last night, I got so bored waiting for my bus, that I took another bus coming (thanks free bus!) just to move a little bit. Turns out that the other bus wasn't on it's usual track, so I ended up missing my own bus altogether, and getting home 40 minutes later. Needless to say, I was a tornado.
At home, my apartment is a mess. I have tons of dry-cleaning I need to do, but I haven't managed to get to the dry-cleaner in the last 2 weeks. I've only barely started my independent study for school, still, and I'm getting worried that I'm wasting my advisor's time. And I'm not really sure how to fix this situation.
See, those who know me well enough know that I have an easy solution. And those who don't know me well enough shouldn't worry about it. But I'm genuinely concerned. My classes have been fairly successful, and I'm afraid to mess with a good thing by getting back in to the old routine. So now what?
Here are my choices:
1) Stop wearing dress clothes and walk more.
2) Read Driven to Distraction again. If I can get through it.
3) Back to the old routine. Anxiety be damned.
4) Try to eliminate distractions around me. But even when I'm bored by all of those (no one on AIM or messenger, nothing on TV, already finished the crossword puzzle), sometimes I found that I feel like I have nothing to do. Nothing to do? I could start with grading papers, preparing lessons, or, chas v'shalom, doing my independent research! But instead I just check something stupid on Facebook for the 80th time.
As always, suggestions welcome.
On another note, I think I discovered my complicated thought-process in a nutshell. The Tuesday NYT crossword puzzle is easier for me than the Monday one. Why? Because I over-analyze the easy Monday clues. Go figure.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Happy Birthday Ari :)

Anonymous said...

LOL...... such a typical liberal.

Well at least you'll be a good source of cheap labor for some "evil" business man!!!!

LOL

Arie said...

One, I don't know you are. Two, this post was about being distracted. What the fuck does that have to do with my being a liberal? Three, why am I a good source of cheap liberal? Fuck you, anonymous!

Arie said...

That last comment should read "good source of cheap labor." And if you are a friend of mine being obnoxious, don't post anonymously, and if you are not a friend of mine, don't post anonymously anyway.