31 January, 2006

El Naqba

Every year, when Israel celebrates its independence, you can be sure that the Palestinians will be mourning the Naqba, the catastrophe (to be sure, Israelis celebrate on 5 Iyar, and the Palestinians on 14 May, so they only coincide every 19 years, such as 67 [and what a celebration that was], 86, and 05). Why? Because apparently, independence for the Israelis meant subjugation for the Palestinians, the loss of a dream, the beginning of an occupation.
Today, 60 American high school kids came to Israel to celebrate a new independence. I am in charge of them. If you can't figure out this metaphor, well, you're a fucking moron.
I have one day off a week starting next week, plus maybe 2 shabbatot a month. But unlike the Palestinians, I actually get housing. Though like the Palestinians, I had to leave my home, but I kept the key anyway.
In short, please pray that I don't elect a Hamas government in 60 years. That is all.

No comments: